Scholarships for Divorced Women

Divorce is often a devastating experience both emotionally and financially. And while time heals most emotional wounds left in the aftermath of divorce, both laypeople and financial experts alike believe that women who have gone through a divorce may never fully recover from the financial devastation, especially mothers who are serving as the custodial parent when children are involved.

There is no question about it: the cost of divorce for a woman is extremely high. While dealing with the emotional turmoil associated with the process, legal fees can reach astronomical heights before it’s all said and done. And once the process is complete, a divorced woman must then learn to live without her spouse’s income. More often than not, this can be a troubling and extremely difficult transition.

Education and the Workforce

In addition to relying on her spouse’s income to help support the family, women may also have been relying on their husband’s health and retirement benefits. In order to compensate for both the loss of money and benefits, divorced women, especially those who have been stay-at-home moms, may need to consider entering or re-entering the workforce. Finding a career with strong earning potential and good benefits can be hard to come by without proper training or a college degree.

But furthering one’s education, of course, requires money, creating a dilemma for divorced women who are already financially strapped. Many women who have gone through a divorce do not have the money to pay for higher education out of pocket, nor do they want to live under the crushing debt of student loans, especially on top of any other debt they may already be dealing with. The expenses and additional financial strain that are required in order to begin a new career may not seem worth it.

Scholarship Opportunities For Divorced Women

There are, however, a number of grants and scholarships available to divorced women that can ease the financial burden of financial education, and the savings can be significant. It is certainly worthwhile to do a little research and explore all options available to assist with the cost of higher education.

Women play an integral role in today’s workforce, and government, private institutions, and non-governmental organization realize the importance of educational opportunities for women so that they may receive the training and education needed to advance their careers. Scholarships have been put into place for women to pursue both basic and more advanced levels of education. Certain scholarships and grants even allow women to obtain more than one degree, and are available to women who meet a number of criteria, including divorce.

When preparing to begin the process of seeking grants and scholarships to pursue higher education, divorced women should also consider looking into institutions under a Displaced Homemaker status. Generally speaking, a Displaced Homemaker is an individual of at least 30 years of age who has been dependent on another family member’s income, but who no longer has access to that income. A Displaced Homemaker status is certainly applicable to divorced women. There are a number of funding opportunities available to individuals who meet this criterion.

Consider the following opportunities:

Scholarships by Institution

Sometimes, scholarships are sponsored directly through colleges and universities themselves. Some schools even offer non-tuition help and can help provide free computers or free daycare for children to help single mothers while they attend their classes. Divorced women can contact the financial aid office or a career counselor at the institution they wish to attend to inquire about scholarships for Displaced Homemakers or for other scholarships for which they may be eligible.

Federal Pell Grants and FSEOG

The Federal Pell Grant Program is offered by the federal government for individuals, including divorcees and single parents, to go back to college in order to pursue a degree. The amount of money that may be awarded under the Pell Grant depends on the financial needs of the applicant, the cost of tuition, status as a full- or part-time student, and how long the student plans to attend school within the academic year.

The grants themselves are awarded directly through participating colleges and universities to low-income students who have either not yet received a bachelor’s degree or to those who are enrolled in post-baccalaureate teacher certification programs.

Like other grants, Pell Grants do not need to be repaid, and the money can be used toward the cost of tuition, fees, and books. Pell Grants will not, however, pay for the entire cost of education.

In addition to the Pell Grant is the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Program. Pell Grant recipients may be awarded up to an additional $4,000 through FSEOG, but it is only available to families with the lowest incomes, so not every divorced woman can qualify for this grant. Additionally, not every school participates in the FSEOG program. Interested applicants should contact the financial aid office at the schools they are interested in to find out if they are FSEOG participants.

Women wishing to obtain a college degree can apply for the Pell Grant and FSEOG by completing the FAFSA (Free Application to Federal Student Aid) application at as well as

Grants for Teachers in Training

Divorced women hoping to go back to school to earn teaching certificates can benefit greatly from the federal government’s Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education(TEACH) Grant. Through TEACH, up to $4,000 of a student’s yearly tuition may be subsidized.

In order to qualify for a TEACH Grant, applicants must successfully complete an approved list of Bachelor’s degree courses including Math and Sciences, and they must sign contracts stating they will teach at a school for low-income students.

In addition to the federal TEACH grant, there are a number of grants awarded by individual state governments for teachers in training. With so much funding available, it is quite possible for a divorced woman to attend school for free, paid entirely by grants, if she wishes to become a teacher. Interested applicants should speak with a financial aid representative at the school of their chose and check the TEACH website for more information on what is needed in order to qualify and how to apply.

Women’s Independence Scholarship Program

The Women’s Independence Scholarship Program (better known as WISP) was established by the Sunshine Lady Foundation to help survivors of domestic violence. WISP’s mission is to help survivors pay for higher education so that they may not only get started on a new career path, but also establish independence, self-sufficiency, and a sense of self-worth.

Potential students looking to attend an accredited institution either full- or part-time may qualify for a WISP scholarship. WISP offers financial support for students in programs at state-supported community colleges, state-supported colleges and universities, private colleges and universities, for-profit institutions, and technical and vocational schools.

Applications must be submitted by mail, but more information on WISP can be found at

Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Awards

Women who are the primary source of financial support for their families and have overcome challenges and obstacles in order to pursue higher education may be eligible for a Soroptomist Women’s Opportunity Award. These awards are ideal for divorced women who are now single mothers since they have been put in the position to be the primary breadwinner in their homes.

In order to qualify, women must already be accepted to or enrolled in a vocational skills training program or a program to pursue their first undergraduate degree. Applicants must also be able to demonstrate financial need.

The amount of money awarded in one of these scholarships will vary but can reach up to $10,000. Women’s Opportunity Awards can help divorced women return to school in order to further their education so that they can expand their opportunities for employment.

Philanthropic Educational Organization Grants and Scholarships

There are a number of PEO grants and scholarships, two of which may be especially appropriate for divorced women. Through the Program for Continuing Education, need-based grants are awarded in amounts of up to $2,000 to women who are pursuing higher education for the purpose of supporting themselves or their families.

Divorced women who already hold a degree but would like to continue their education even further may wish to consider applying for a Scholar Award. These awards are merit-based and can be quite substantial, and they are intended for women pursuing post-graduate study or their doctorates at an accredited institution. More information on PEO grants can be found at

Jeannette Rankin Foundation Scholarships

For divorced women over 35, the Jeannette Rankin Foundation has scholarships in place especially for this demographic to help them achieve their dreams of higher education. These scholarships are for women with low income who are currently enrolled in or have been accepted to an accredited institution. Women must be pursuing an associate’s degree or their first bachelor’s degree in vocational or technical education in order to qualify.

American Association of University Women Career Development Grants

Divorced women who already hold a bachelor’s degree but would like to continue their education even further may also be eligible for a grant from the American Association of University Women. These career development grants are awarded to women with bachelor’s degrees who would like to pursue a second bachelor’s degree, a master’s degree, or career training in either a technical or professional field. The amount awarded under this grant can range anywhere from $2,000 to $12,000.

Talbot’s Women’s Scholarship Fund

Each year, Talbot’s issues sixty $1,000 scholarships and six $10,000 scholarships. These awards are presented to women who are pursuing an undergraduate degree from an accredited two- or four-year institution. Women must have received their high school diploma or GED within the last 10 years, and only women who are seeking a bachelor’s degree are eligible for the $10,000 scholarships. More information on the Talbot’s Women’s Scholarship fund can be found here.

The Path to Independence

Divorce is a time of high stress and can leave women feeling lost and even hopeless. But the termination of a marriage does not have to mean financial doom or giving up dreams of higher education and a better career.

Divorced women can qualify for a number of grants and scholarships as mentioned above, and it is worth noting that a divorcee doesn’t only need to meet that particular criterion in order to qualify for grants or scholarships. There are a number of opportunities for grants and scholarships for women that are also well worth considering so that they can get back on their feet and realize their dreams to further their education in order to better themselves and set off on a new career path that will allow them to provide financial support for their families.

Independence – both emotional and financial – is possible after divorce. With so many grant and scholarship opportunities, women should take advantage of funding for which they may be eligible. Though the application process may seem daunting, the educational opportunities offered by these funds are priceless.


  • Reply Janet C. Williams June 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm

    I am trying to become a social worker. I currently have my bachelor’s degree and need my MSW. I dont have the money to return to school and am paying back student loans. Any programs available will be a benefit and help to me.

    Thank you

    • Reply Nancy L Pitman July 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm

      I am in the same boat..Wanting to go back to get a MSW…I have been divorced 3 yrs..(did not receive ANY financial help after 30 yrs) I have been working as a CNA (Red Cross Financial Aid) and need a new occupation (I am 54) so going back to school to achieve that is necessary..what is out there ?($ Aide) for over 50 and Graduate..not minority, not disabled (yet)(getting older )

  • Reply Juliana Robinson September 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm

    Good day. I am a recently divorced 50yr stay at home mother of one 13yr son. I am also a recent breast cancer survivor. My income is limited and my college education is limited. I would like to return to college to complete classes and certification to manage insurance billing and coding. Government financial aid will help, but will not be enough. I would like to find some programs that might help me fund my education. I am very open to giving back to whatever programs can assist me.
    Thank you for your time and assistance.
    Juliana Robinson

  • Reply Deb Cook February 1, 2013 at 7:57 pm

    Hello, I am a divorced woman with a child still in High School to share support as joint ccustody parents. Additionally, I came from a very dysfunctional home, where I saw my father beat and verbally abuse my mother daily, and he also threatened to kill us children and my mom several times. Therefore, I am an ACOA. I lived in this lifestyle for 22 years. I also had thyroid cancer that had spread and had to be removed at the age of 14. I still have hypothyroidism and my thyroid med. for some reason cannot be regulated. I have always worked since the age of 15 w/a work permit and now the U.S. gov’t tells us social security will not be there when I need to retire.. I have very little in retirement, as I took some out to take care of my child for a year when she was little. Unfortunately, I have a host of very difficult health problems which make me push myself every day to get through a day of work ,and I DO NOT want to quit and file permanent disability, for health issues such as FMS & CFS, etc. However, I still want to pursue my Ph.D. full time and do not have any money to do so. I realize this could mean I may have to move and live way below what I choose to, to get this degree. However, it will better prepare me to take care of myself as I get older and during my retirement years, as I will bring in more money, and thus put more into my retirement. There is an online program w/some campus visits required/out of state visits/class hrs required, where I may gain my Ph.D. with an emphasis in Health. It is thru Fielding Institute/Graduate University, but I could never afford it, and at my age it makes no sense to take out major loans that I could not pay back or make up for in my salary. Please let me know of any financial aide resources available where I may get a full grant to pursue my doctorate, Ph.D. with an emphasis in Health at the Fielding Institute/Graduate Uninversity. Thank you for your time.

  • Reply Haimanot February 5, 2013 at 8:30 am

    My name is Haimanot Gellaw I am From Ethiopia I am a worker at Addis Ababa University collage of Education secretary Please help me and my Children

  • Reply Caren Akoth Awuor May 10, 2013 at 8:28 am

    My name is Caren am a Kenya woman and lives in Kenya. I have lived as a total orphan from the age of 7yrs and never the less I have grown and got married to a man who later damped me with four kids, as for now I live with all of the alone, the kids have now grown and they are all in school. Having grown as an orphan I never gotten a chance to persue my education well. I there for stand to beg for anybody who could lift me up to a college of Children’s ministry and humanity as an undergraduate student as i deeply feel to work in a children’s organization just helping and taking care of the less fortunate kids in the society.
    May God bless as you make your decisions towards giving out a grant of education to me. Amen.

  • Reply pearl June 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm

    Can you tell me will I get the scholarship for my career development studying in the USA in educational field.I really want it.
    What requirement are there possible for this?

  • Reply fatemeh June 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm

    My name is Fatemeh and I am from Iran. I divorced in 2 years ago with 5 yrs old son. in my life as long as remember, I was a strange and different girl rather than my environment girls, myself always was in torment than Discrimination among men and women in our society and unseen the women’s. my big wish when I was a teenager was be equal with my environment boy’s, of course I never wish that I be a boy I liked my sex and I Believing the girls are better than boys!!!!!. My second wish was have a kindergarten for Orphan children’s.

    Anyway I did study computer in university but always feel something is missing in my soul and I have a prophecy about women’s and children. In all part of my life I don’t forget my wishes never. In my 30 years old I was like a fish away water, start to search for know myself better. Study Psychology book’s and sites, went to some classes to find myself and my lost. at first I know that my more active archetype in my personality is artemis and study the book Goddesses in everywoman by Bolen, Jean Shionda. I understand cause different myself with others. And try to find something related to my talent and personality. I love study, decide go to university for study a field that can growing and help more to others. More fields was in my mind but none not appealing me. Until a day I search about iran women’s and I see a website (, find there is a field named women’s studies. From that day I am so excited and sure that this field is my lost and decide study women’s studies from undergraduate until doctoral.

    Unfortunately in Iran there isn’t this field like other countries (one of the Discriminations). I search more in sites and courses in universities in the world and France universities that see your website with beautiful pictures and your Research about this field. I request you help me for start this field. I don’t know who and where I should start. Please guide me for find a university (with scolarship). of course I am sure that it isn’t important where I start, because with this love that I have in my heart, continue in the best universities in this field.

    thank you so much for work about women.

  • Reply Marie Battle June 25, 2013 at 2:15 am

    I am a full time employee in the healthcare field, single mother of three children and three grandchildren, and a full time non-traditional student. I decided to make a few changes in life by continuing my college education and fulfilling my lifelong dream which is to further my professional experience within the Healthcare system. I know that I am capable of reaching any goals that I set to pursue by commitment and determination.
    Over the last 6 years I have experienced some life challenges and therefore had to make the decision to withdraw from school in order to care for both of my parents that fail ill. I lost my mother in 2009 and continued to care for my father who suffered from dementia until 2012, while caring for them both my grades suffered and I withdrew from college. Although, I was set back on continuing my education I realized that with perseverance and determination I could re-enter college and continue to pursue my dreams.
    Since my return to college at Clayton State University I have excelled in sustaining a better GPA and over all college experience. I feel that I owe it to myself and my family to finish school and set an example for my children and grandchildren that you can always reach your goals no matter the obstacles that may come your way in life.
    Financially, I have exhausted Pell Grant and student loans and I need assistance in paying for my finishing semesters at Clayton State University in GA. I would use the scholarship funds to pay for tuition and books. I am seeking my bachelor’s degree in Health Care Management and I have about 3-4 semesters to complete before graduating. Receiving a scholarship will definitely relieve me of financial stress and allow me to continue my education without interruption of withdrawal from school.

  • Reply saraswathy February 17, 2014 at 5:04 pm


    I got divorced in 2011. Currently, i am doing my higher education. For that i need financial support. Please help me how to get any help

  • Reply Alisha Dufford March 7, 2014 at 3:02 am

    I divorced almost ten years ago due to abuse and about one year ago left an abusive boyfriend.
    I am currently enrolled in Medical Billing and Coding through an online school.
    I am currently working in lawn and landscape, which is still considered a “mans job”. This has posed some difficulties as I have to work twice as hard as them just to get a fraction of their respect. I am laid off for the winter. I am still fighting to get my unemployment, and have been since November. I have gone to multiple interviews but never got a call back. I have no money coming in but I cannot afford to quit school as it will offer me a better future.
    If you can help me, this would be greatly appreciated.

  • Reply Thuy T. March 25, 2014 at 5:26 pm

    This site gives great information on what is offered in grants,scholarships ect…. but can someone point to the direction in where I need to apply for some of the blessings of opportunities for woman ? Do I need to look under non profit organizations , government websites, or county websites ? Not sure which direction to begin with . Any information would be much appreciated . Thank you.

  • Reply Shanna October 23, 2014 at 9:37 pm

    I need some direction in my life during the divorce, I haven’t worked in 12 years and have very little education. I need to support the 3 boys that I have full custody. I’m thinking a vocational School because it’s fast, but which one? I’m over 40 and need to work. Please help me find my place in the world.

  • Leave a Reply